Christmas is nearly here again! It’s a magical time of year and we always look forward to it coming round again and again. The lead up to Christmas is always hectic with shopping for gifts, school plays, work parties etc. So when it comes to the big day, we want to sit back, relax and enjoy the day with our families.
However, that’s not always how it works out. Stress and tensions can be high as we continue to rush around to please all, even into the big day. We then vow that we will not spend the day like this again, only to have a complete groundhog day experience again next year.
So, with this in mind, try applying these basic project management principles, to ensure a wonderful Christmas with your loved ones.
- DEFINE what you want to get out of the day. If you want to stay at home and not rush around visiting countless relatives, make this clear to them all beforehand. You can plan your present delivering before the big day, so that you can sit back and relax with your favourite Christmas tipple.
- Now concentrate on the SCOPE of work that needs to be carried out during the day so that the objectives of the day can be met. e.g. presents to be opened, lunch to be prepared etc. You could produce a work breakdown structure which will provide the basis for estimating budget and schedule.
- PLAN your day. Break the day down into manageable areas of what needs to be done, how long the tasks will take and who will be involved, allowing a float for any unexpected time delays.
- ENJOY your day! Follow your plan and the day will unfold as you have wanted it to. You have allowed for any situation and therefore nothing will be a surprise! (except the presents you receive hopefully).
- Boxing Day arrives and you reflect on how your Christmas day went. Was it everything you wanted it to be? How will you project manage next year’s? The relatives will all be arriving soon… Did you remember to project manage your Boxing Day?
However you want to spend the holiday season, we wish you all a very Happy Christmas.